4/13/2013

Emotions and Dinner

Today was a rough day at work. The only reason I say this is because I actually cried. I don't know if I was just tired from the night before's festivities, seeing Jennifer be upset yesterday, or myself being actually upset, but I took a minute to cry. Obviously, it was at this exact moment that Encar walked by. I wasn't sure how to express to her my state, as I was confused by my own feelings. This week was filled with duties that did not include actually stay with the animals, but merely passing by and glancing at them for a few minutes. I think my frustration stemmed came from seeing the newer volunteers playing with the monkeys and sloths, while I did the hard work. Finally today, after days of looking forward to giving tours (mainly because I get to be with the monkeys for a whooping 10 minutes), I was redirected towards the gift shop. I managed the gift shop for the whole day, no animals interaction. This ultimate thought stirred anger and confusion, yet Encar saw it as she trusted me, and as a new privilege. Between her and Nerea trying to console me, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by the feeling of shame. I was there to be helpful, including gift shop duty (which has never been a volunteer's duty), poop duty, and window cleaning. I was becoming one of those people who had an agenda, instead of doing charity work for the sake of the charity.

This week has been a roller coaster of emotions. First, I went to the vet with Encar. We went with Tyson who had a little cold (mucus in his left lung. He recovered) and with a very tiny little sloth. It took three people to hold down a baby two toed sloth name after a famous boxing champion just to get a clear listening to his lungs. The little sloth was much easier, he hasn't been able to pee in a few days now, therefore was extremely uncomfortable. It took 6 5ml-syringes to drain the little guy, who buy the way is slightly smaller than my head. While I was suffering at the gift shop, Encar was suffering on the phone to try to coordinate a trip to San Jose for that exact little one. After the sloths were examined and their fate was decided, it was time to hear about the monkeys. They had blood work done before I was given nursery duty, and as I sat in the chair holding the little hold-it-in-my-pants, Dr Alfonso rattled results. I thanked the Medical Spanish course I took by accident in university and understood what was wrong with my monkeys. Now, I never took an English medical course, and therefore can provide very limited translation, but no extra medication for our adult monkeys. As much of a relief as it is, it means that we still aren't sure what is wrong.
After going to the vet, and being bored out of my mind, Poo asked me if I wanted to go to the forest for 20 minutes. I agreed as I had never been to the forest, and again, I haven't spent real cuddle time with the animals. As soon as I arrived, I saw that there was three alpha males in the neighboring trees. Chipito, our weak alpha male, had to be taken home. So shortly after arriving, I tried to convince Chipito to come home with me. Let me offer you this piece of advice, convincing a human male to come home with me is much easier than convincing a male monkey.

The other exciting news is that we had release the agouti yesterday, and while we actually meant to put him in the sloth garden and he ran away, he has come back. The animals like to take vacations from us, and then realize that, after all we feed them good, and they got cuddles. At that point, most want to stay, but one day they leave us for good, just like Gouti gouti.

On my day off, I had the joy to spend it doing everyday errands. I went out for brunch, in the hope to get some eggs benedict. The Puerto Viejo bakery is a little piece of heaven in this paradise land. It is a French bakery, and it opens at 7am. Everyday, I have to joy of getting myself a croissant and some delicious lunch if need be. I had been eyeing their eggs benedict for days now, only to be met with disappointment. It turned out they didn't have the sauce, and so I accepted Banana Panqueque, which are banana pancakes.
After my delicious, buttered panqueques, I went grocery shopping for our homecooked dinner. JT, the owner of the hotel I am staying at, and I have formed a habit of cooking ourselves delicious dinners. Tonight's menu was a salad, with mushroom sauce over filet mignon (Lomito) and mashed potatoes. Needless to say, dinner was quiet as we were chomping down on our red meat. The thought of buying a machete was no longer on our mind. After dinner, we had a good long conversation about religion, relationships and future. It was all so perfect, that the next few days' meals seemed dull in comparison.

The night after we went to "Todos que Posible", a bar that plays drums every Friday night. The night was enjoyable due to the musical prouesse and to the good company. Marloes had come back from her trip for a few days, and this was her first appearance. A little tanner, but with a bigger smile, she asked me about the nursery and the people. It was as if she had never left, and it was as she had never left the nursery.
We are suppose to see each other some more before she leaves for good. So for now, I am going to finish season 2 of Downtown Abbey.
Buenas Noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment