3/20/2016

First day- in travel and on the ground.


 I am not sure if I can call travel day the worst day, but we will for now. As excited as I was to return to my favorite airport (PHL) in the world, I was going through the long list of things that could go wrong, and things I could have forgotten. A typical ritual for anyone boarding a flight really.
Michelle and Pat dropped me off at the airport on their way to a flyers game. I wish I could say that I had never seen an emptier airport, but having been in airport at the wee hours of the night, I have seen nearly abandoned airports. I didn’t have suitcases, and had checked in early. My new Iphone warned me that my flight was delayed, and all my brain could tell me was “oh, and here is the first thing.” I had a connection in Miami to Quito, and with this 30 minutes delay, I had a guarantee of a light jog to my next gate. I sat myself at a bar by my gate and enjoyed my book, lunch and a couple Bloody Marys. It seemed like the most appropriate drink to celebrate my departure of the state, and maybe the country.

At this point, my brain couldn’t let me enjoy my traveler’s light reading without having to check if the flight was even more delayed. My favorite part of flying so frequently is the miles that come along with it. But the true best part is my little “Gold” member card. While everyone stacks themselves at the boarding gate, similarly to cattle, I waited to the side until they called out propriety seating. 
That’s right, while you guys lined up like idiots, blocking the way and trying to rudely be first on the place, I destroyed your concepts and beliefs and jumped the line to be right in front of you.

NOT THAT IT HELPED, AS I SAT IN THE PLANE FOR A GOOD 45 MINUTES.

Let me tell you, we left an hour later. My anxiety took the best of me, and I sat in my spacious seat, overwhelmed with the thought of having to stay in Miami for a night, when I already have such a short vacation. How dare you American Airlines. How dare you.
Well, in the good fashion and tradition that is American Airlines flight, my next flight was also delayed. So I did not stay in Miami.

I encountered two girls from Philadelphia who were also traveling to Quito on my second flight, and were teachers. What a coincidence! I helped them get through customs as they knew no Spanish, and one hadn’t traveled in years. But, after a good 12 hours of travel in the air, and in airports, I found my way to a very quiet and sleepy Quito. My taxi driver was my height (which is apparently common in Ecuador), and the most patient little man in the world, as I forgot to take money out to pay him and I had him drive around the city to find an ATM.
My poor roommates got awaken by my hassling around the room to get my stuff and myself situated. After a good night of sleep, I explored my hostel, which is absolutely beautiful. Breakfast is offered on the terrace, and I enjoyed an inspiring view of Quito. After breakfast and a much needed shower, I decided to take it upon myself to get lost and get familiar with the city.

Suddenly I decided I would climb up Mt. Panecillo and go see El virgin de Quito up close and personal. Of course, I was not going to take a bus, or taxi, or even the familiar route. It is a mountain. All I would have to do in theory is to go up, and I will get there.

On my way, I encountered a parade for Palm Sunday, and followed along as tons of worshipers where singing hymns and carrying a statue of dead Jesus sitting on his throne. Some of the citizens were weaving palms leaves and making them into little crosses or bouquets for people to offer at their church. I followed the parade until it took a turn down the hill. They had brought me to Parque Lineal, which is way south of town. It was still at the base of this gigantic mountain, therefore, I could still test out my theory.
I climbed up what felt like a million stairs, and found myself in the ghettos of El Panecillo. As I said, I just kept climbing the hill. It was me and one old Ecuadorian who was doing much better than me in terms of cardio. That hour of Yoga a week is a joke. 

As I was two minutes away from El virgin, a pack of dogs stopped me in my tracks. Those little bastards were obviously protecting their territory, and at the same time, about to ruin my valiant efforts of seeing my first tourist attraction. Hold and behold, my little old Ecuadorian shows up to nowhere and tells me to keep on trekking. She throws a branch my way, and continued to her house. I stood there, texting my friends to make sure they would know why I got mauled and by what, and how I wasn’t truly to blame. Little did I know, dogs are scared of branches. They scattered and ran up the hill while their owner came out and was surprised to see me standing with no bites. She walked up with me the little path while we chatted about her dogs, which she rescued and how I was their leader now. Sure enough, they followed me around, and fought other dogs nearby. If I didn’t stand out before, now I sure did as the queen of dogs.

I didn’t realize today was the Equinox, and so after admiring the giant status and trying to lose the pack of dogs, I sat myself down to observe a traditional dance performed by the locals. It was quite a beautiful contrast between El domingo Ramos and El equinoccio. After enjoying it for a bit, I noticed the dogs had run off, probably to fight someone else or some other dogs so I quickly hopped on the local bus to get back home.

If anyone knows me, or has tried to get anywhere with me, we know the one skills I do not have is the skill of direction. After asking a couple cops, I made my way back home. Next is to find a delicious lunch, which I think I deserve, and I am definitely going to a museum and staying away 
from packs of dogs (even though I kept my branch).


But for now, 
Hasta luego amigos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment