4/10/2017

The typical travels of a girl who loves to eat

And I am off on another journey through Central America.
This spring break will offer a whirlwind of adventure through Nicaragua, Honduras and El Salvador. But adventures always start the same way, with a passport, a boarding pass, and something wrong with the plane.

I flew out of Philadelphia to land in Miami, as I always do to get to Central America. This was not the eventful part.  American Airlines completely screwed the pooch on their bookings (as they always do) and had delays for the last three days which created a backup of 27 people trying to get on our plane to Miami. I wish I could say I felt bad for them, but my spring break is starting and I have not only a limited amount of time to get to my paradise, and I also don't trust American Airlines to actually have a seat for me later one. So I boarded my plane, as 25 pairs of eyes glared at me.

Tori and I landed in Miami. We were not that hungry, but we were thirsty for some beers. We stopped at my favorite bar called.... Irish bar. It is in the middle of D terminal so you can get to any gates relatively easy.
We were craving burgers, as one does on a daily basis, and found this restaurant online called " The counter custom burger". So, we wrapped up our check, drank our lagers and walk the whole ten feet to this burger heaven. We ordered more beers (without realizing that the normalcy is to have a 20oz pint instead of 16oz pint) and enjoyed our little dinner.

Then suddenly, I hear " jkshaduaksdh Vila". Well, that' s weird. Our flight doesn't end boarding for another ten minutes. I had already asked for the check, and then Tori gets a sudden phone call. "Yeah, we will be right there. Yeah, two minutes. Allison Vila is with me." Panic sets in, burgers settle in my belly. I ain't running for this one.

We make it, with three minutes to spare and a stern talking to by the flight attendant in charge. Whatever, we get on our plane and hear the announcement that our CO-PILOT has been spotting walking down the corridor to the gate. So we weren't the last one on our plane...

Once landed, I had a strong feeling that this travel day was going to continue with the regular "let's make sure Allison gets to practice her Spanish by giving her problem after problem". Big mistake universe. I have been wearing hiking boots on a plane for the last 9 hours, I am on fire.
The car rental agency had canceled our rental due to the delays in our flight. So, they had no cars for us. I stood there and smiled and said "que?" he tried to repeat slowly and I cut him off with a "Yo entiendo. Pero.... que? No coche? Nada? Y.... porque?"

See, it wouldn't have been a big deal because plenty of other car services would have rented me a car, but we were dropping off this bad boy in Estile, which meant only few agency would allowus  to have a car... and it is, of course, Semana Santa which only aggravates the problem.
Finally, I take my little device called an Iphone charged with an International Plan and find myself a car with budgetCar. I get the car at 9:30pm. We landed at 7:30pm. I had taken off my hiking boots at the counter.

Sam lands, Brodia arrives and the car keys arrive. We climb in the car (which is now a manual so 50% of the passengers can drive it and that's it) and feel on top of the world. Until our GPS takes us down the strangest roads and in circles around Managua. Sam's amazing navigation skills came in handy and she got us on the highway; where we realized that passing a car at nighttime meant flashing your beamers STRAIGHT at us. Just a friendly blinding "hello, I am here!"

It was a relief to find our hostel in Granada, to find our beds, to be able to put on shorts and to know that for the rest night nothing more could go wrong. We took a little stroll around the city, which seems beautiful and charming, and filled with colorful people who know three words in English "Sex, Cocaine, Fuck you".
Needless to say, I laughed at their bold attempt at catcalling and will see if the day population is a little more educated.

Having said that, it is 5am and I am ready for a quick nap and free banana pancakes at our hostel! I will keep you updated, and maybe even post pictures this time around :)

Buenos dias y hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment