6/29/2018

Ally in Azores

My dear lovelies,

This is my first travel on my own in two years. It's crazy to think about how much happened in two years. I have had so many travels in between, and so many experiences. I went from  being 25 years old to being 27 years old. I went from feeling like the world was mine to being restrained by my own capacities.

Yet, traveling is still making me feel youth is coursing through my blood. No matter my age, the airplane air, and the waiting in the airport will give me the rush and the adrenaline to feel like I am 23 years old, in love, and that the future is in front of me.

I am in the Azores at the moment, and I wish I didn't love it as much as I do now. Most people have not heard of this wonderful archipel of islands. They are an autonomous group of islands from Portugal that are in the middle of the Atlantic. Do not feel discouraged, there is three direct flights from the United States: Oakland, Providence, and Boston. The flights are five hours long, cheap and actually more convenient that going to Central America.

I landed at midnight. I made a poor decision to go with the first flight I saw. I realize that now, but there is something about late night flights that bong people together. I have four people that I connected with on the flight, and that I can hang out with anytime I want. It is very reassuring to think about the fact that I am still young enough at heart to be around early-20-something-year-olds.

Anyway, today I obviously enjoyed my not-so-shiny day in Ponta Delgada. I woke up extra early, because my teacher schedule will never leave my body. So I woke up at 7am, and showered and started my day by booking a few tours and having the most decadent breakfast. It started with pastries, and ended with cheeses and jams. I wish I didn't spend an hour eating, but truthfully I did. I then went headed and explored town a bit. There is nothing that I love more than a bird's eye view of a city. I went up the bell tower of Ponta Delgada, but that was not before I accidentally walked into the city hall and asked in my very-obvious tourist English if I could go up. The security guard took me outside and pointed me in the right direction. The bell tower is a skinny structure that allows 1/2 person to go up stone stairs that are falling apart. Once I got up, I enjoyed the view, until 18 German tourists walked up. It crowded the bell tower and even as I tried to leave more were coming up.

Once they were all up there, trying to speak to me in Portuguese, I went down and got back to the hostel. I needed a break from the walking, the heat, and the jet lag. My lunch was seafood, as is tradition in this town, and a bit of learning basic Portuguese as to not look too silly.

I had booked a tour to Sete Ciudades, even though there was clouds. Everyone says it is not beautiful in the clouds, but to be honest it is mostly magical. Driving up with my tour guide, Carlos (the face of Ponta Delgada) was also magical. ASking him the weirdest questions was only the fun part. He knew every answer. How much milk does a cow produce in Sao Miguel? A good cow produces 30 liters. What's the weirdest bird? The Azorian Blue finch. What's the amount of cheese an Azorian (carlos) person eats on a daily basis? I was just met with laughter. But 60% of milk production in Portugal happens on Sao Miguel island. And there is 1 1/2 cow per person here, and you would believe it.

After my Jeep-ed out tour around the craters of the Western part of the island, I went home to work a bit. I was greeted by my fellow Americans and we tried to go have dinner in town. Without reservations, this town is impossible to have dinner. We spend a solid hour trying to eat somewhere, only to eat on the main strip. Don't worry. I had squid AND octopus, because you have to have both in one meal. The fresh seafood must be the secret to happiness here; and all the cheese.

Having tried a good amount Vinho Verde, and the local wines, we decided to walk back to the hotel through the illuminated town. There is nothing more magical than a port city in the lights of night. The fresh air brings the people out. The moon helps the artificial light freshen the town. The waves crushing are the soundtrack to your steps. This was one perfect day under the clouds and the rain. I wouldn't compare Ponta Delgada to Paris in the rain, but I would say the people's acceptance counterbalance the miserable rain.

Can't wait for tomorrow and my trip to the hot springs, rain or shine; I will be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment