7/09/2015

Animals for everyone!

The Jaguar Rescue Center is PACKED with volunteers, to the point that it is annoying and stressful. At La Ceiba, it is so relaxing and we are alone in the jungle, where I don't have to hear people constantly complaining about the amount of people there and their right to do whatever they want. I don't have to be frustrated and surrounded by people.

The very first event I got to experience at JRC was the neutering of the deer, Xoi. I really only got to look at it from far away, but it was so cool to see the vet operate on a sleeping animal. As much as I enjoyed it, I was very stressed, and kept calm by washing dish after dish.

While everyone is hustling and trying to act like they are the busiest person on the center, I am just trying to keep my six tiny volunteers busy. They are so wonderful in the sense that they are always willing to help, and doing the best they can. It is hard to make them realize that this opportunity is not only wonderful but they are six in thirty to be able to be near the monkeys, the margay, the anteater, the raccoons, the sloths and the birds all in the same week.

I do find some quiet moment at the center as well though. The police has just brought over a giant turtle which was hunted for its meat. It was found in the trunk of a car, fins tied, holes from harpoons in his shell. The center quickly constructed a "little" bassinet in the back of the new nursery (away from the tours and the people) and the kids grabbed sea water for him. Our job was to count his breath. This was my first time seeing a sea turtle (THEY ARE HUGE), but it was also seeing them breath. They sound like they haven't breathed in ten minutes... oh wait, they catch their breath every ten minutes! And boy and oh boy, they catch their breaths. The first time I heard it, it made me jump. I did think he was dying, but that's just what they do. Turtle's gonna do what turtles do.

The center also has the cutest little kitten Margay, McCarthy, who is making me miss my kitten so much. I know she is well, and she is loved, but not seeing everyday whenever I want to is hard. Having a whole bed to myself is just not the same. I did get to play with him which was incredibly lucky, but I would still rather play with little baby kitten Nala. August 12th will be a great reunion of two souls, whatever she truly wants it or not.

I have been here for two weeks, and even though I feel like I never felt, the rescue center feels very different. It is not quite the same with all of my campers, and even with the rest of the volunteers it is not always as enjoyable. There is too many strong personalities that I do not enjoy, and too many people who are not there for the good of the place.
And then, you encounter the one person who revives that serenity in you. That one volunteer who is here for just the right reasons, and it makes me feel like where I was two years ago, with all my friends, and all my babies.

I do miss the peace I felt back then, and this does feel like a job, but it is really not the worst job to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment