7/02/2015

Jaguar Rescue center, Welcome back!

Today was my very very first day at "La Ceiba".  This is truly a magical place that I have only heard of is out in the jungle, with no phone service and no internet. It is a very secluded little community of one family and two volunteers at the moment (about to be zero volunteers by next Wednesday).  

The group had to split up as we were such a big group, there wasn't enough work for us at just the rescue center. I decided to go to "La Ceiba" to make sure that my 6 little volunteers were not struggling alone. Of course, they were mesmerized by the jungle, and by the beauty of the community in general. All the houses being built by hand, without cranes and the roofs being made out of woven banana leaves. 
I was also, and remembered why I fell in love with this town. The one long term volunteer (Dayana) had recently adopted a little orange kitten who was nearly just as wild as the ocelot. I wish I could have brought it to our hotel with me, and just kept him for six weeks. Borrow-a-kitten in Costa Rica could be an easy hit. 

 We spent the day doing a lot of maintenance work, which I forgot how tired it was. I should say I "conveniently" forgot. My body quickly remembered the proper way to rake which was taught by non-other than Jimmy, the only man I know to be drinking coffee out of water bottle and to be raking at the same time. My blister came back, so I will have once again peasant hands, instead of my dainty lady hands. But we were rewarded with some time with the animals, feeding them and spending some quality time with them. 
I was a little sadden to hear that Shaki, the sweet little one eyed monkey had grown to attack women, and that like so many, after sexual maturity could not be around humans anymore. Tonino, who was a cry baby when I left him and had to be in someone's arms at all times, attacked a volunteer the week before we arrived and bit him in the neck. 
This is a good reminder that wild animals are wild animals. No matter their behavior as babies, once they reach that hormone level, their instinct will kick in. They both will be released shortly, and will live happy lives with their little troop where they wont have to deal with human competition. 

I also got to see Stanley again, the blind kinkajoo. I knew he would never be released, but I was happy to see that he was in a quieter environment, with still very loving volunteers. He was napping away as he is a nocturnal animal and it was good to see him actually have his little old man life- sleep all day, eat whatever he wants, hiss at whoever is on his lawn. 

After our very hard day, we deserved some ice cream and I obviously went back to my favorite ice cream shop (which turns out, our driver recommended!). 
To continue with the treats, the husband of the hostess at the hotel cut all of us coconut so we could slurp on the water and eat the meat. Turns out the couple is from Michigan and decided to move here for good. He was a digital/ technology teacher for four years until he came here, and produces some pretty sweet music video, including one showing off his skills and called it "Black Amish". 

I promised him a shout out and therefore, here is the link to "Black Amish". Add it to your play list amigos!


No comments:

Post a Comment