3/11/2013

New babies arrived!

Today was eventful and uneventful at the same time. There was no crazy hunt for spiders or beer, but rather it was raking, raking, raking and finally scrubbing the walls of the stables. It has been a gorgeous and sunny day, which would have been amazing if I could have laid around with sloths all day, but today was manual labor. At first, I was okay with it and thought about how much I didn't mind it, but right before lunch time, I turned into a little monster. I was hangry- hungry and angry. I was sit and tired of raking leaves, when they kept on falling, and the never ending tasks. I was tired of hearing people freaking out when I had my break from being in the sun. Listen, other nameless volunteer, you go rack in the sun for 4 hours straight while having Jimmy tell you how your racking is depressingly slow, and then you can tell me how if I never look like I am helping out. I am gonna unleash Diablolino, our margay, on your annoying personality and then you will have bigger worries than what I am doing with my life at the moment.
After lunch, everything was easier. It is surprising how just a little bit of food can so to the human spirit. While we were eating lunch, Encar came out to show us the newest arrival. It was little baby monkey wrapped in one of the blankets I had donated. Encar doesn't expect to survive the night, as it is so small and had a bot-fly.
For those of you who are wondering what a bot-fly is, do not fear. You're the majority. A bot-fly is a fly that reproduce in the following manner. If you have food nearby, you might want to scarf it down before you read the following. A bot-fly will catch a mosquito and force its eggs into it. The mosquito then bites a mammal and inject the eggs into the skin. The larvae grows peacefully and after a month crawls out of the skin to buries itself into the ground to continue its metamorphosis. 
It can happen to human, and the only way to know is when you have a mosquito bite that just keeps on growing and growing. It is easily removable after a week of growing, and it is harmless to the host until the larvae gets out and leaves that gaping hole in your flesh.
This baby monkey had one of those holes, and it was Encar's job to makes sure it doesn't get infect and that the new baby gets enough warmth.
The second arrival was of a baby three toed sloths. Some strangers came into the center at the end of our shifts holding on to a towel. Wrapped in it was a sloth slightly larger than the size of my fist. Encar gave us a statistic for the survival rate of baby sloths. 99% of them die. It was almost unfair. He wasn't injured and other than looking exhausted from the trip, he moved around fine. Encar is not going to sleep tonight as she has two new babies to care for.

In the meantime, I want to make sure to thank everyone who donated, as I see the items being used everyday. The blankets have been used on sloths, baby monkeys and the adult monkeys, while the goat milk is used for all of the baby sloths and even the squirrels. The bene-bac syringes has helped Angelina, our monkey and Frankie, our adult sloths feel better.
Now enjoy this video of Pomme, our three toes sloth trying to escape to the Cayman cage:


No comments:

Post a Comment