3/17/2013

St Paddy's day Costa Rican style

I have left everyone in the dark for a few days. My days are becoming more and more routine, and therefore less and less exciting for everyone.
I wake up, ride my bike to the center, do some manual labor and then get to hold some sloths. While I patiently wait for my day off. Friday was my day off, and I was suppose to set up some awesome surfing lessons with this guy who could teach you within two hours. I couldn't find him and set up a lesson with Willy. I just walked on the beach and he was there ready to teach. I didn't have a bathing suit, and therefore, couldn't really start right away. I went back to the hotel and asked about surfing lessons, and hold and behold, they knew the guy I had been searching for.
Sorry Willy, I'm going with magical surf teacher. So Wednesday is my first lesson. I am not looking forward to the physical strain, but I am sure in the end, I will appreciate pushing myself out of my boundaries.

In the meantime, today is Saint Paddy's day, and it is celebrated here in Puerto Viejo as well. The local dealers are wearing green attire, and going around joyously proposing their newest shipment to everyone.
I started my St Paddy's day with a good two hours on the black sand of Playa Negra. Needless to say, the sun in Costa Rica is strong. You feel it the moment you go out. I braved going out, with a ton of sunscreen on. Yet, the fifteen minutes into town and out of town got me a nobel prize winner for sunburns. Someone commented that I got some weird sunburns going on. Mainly because only half of my face is badly sunburns and my swimsuit gave me sleepy boobs (My sunburns are straight across, so any low cut shirt I wear reveal the white of my cleavage and the red of my boobs). The amount of Biafine (cream for burns) has helped for about 30 mns, and then I go back to the itching and burning sensations where my skin was not covered. I am not looking towards tonight, as I have to lay in bed trying to catch sleep in my uncomfortable self.
The burns were somewhat worth it, as we (Natalie and I) stopped at the best seafood in town. Fresh as can be. They supply the whole town with fresh fish. Sure enough, I had the ceviche of mixed seafood, which includes tuna, octopus, shrimp and seabass, all cooked in a lemon sauce. It was the best lunch a girl could ask for. We only stumbled upon it when we tried to eat at Lazy Mon (where I tried to go to an open mic that ended up terribly wrong). Juan, the rake man, told us Lazy mon was closed until 1 pm, but we should go across the street for the best seafood in town. Juan, who looked homeless, had never been more right. Nowhere have I had fresher seafood and Mango drink.

Later, after a nice cold shower to cool down my sunburns, we went to The Point, an american bar/restaurant, for St Paddy's day they were having a free pig roast. Natalie and I went and found seats immediately, and within minutes a couple needed more seats and asked us to share our table. We obviously agreed as we are both friendly people. We quickly learned that their motive to be in Costa Rica wasn't originally vacation, but dental work. In the US, they were told they would need about 20,000$ worth of dental work, while once they arrived in San Jose and were recommended to a good dentist, they only needed 7000$. The difference makes up for the 400$ flight over. The couple was incredibly nice and a good time to have around. We shared travel stories, and they told us how they met. They both had been married once, and boasted about first marriage being practice marriages. The man, Alexander, was explaining to us how he got Judy, his girlfriend. The bickering over the proper story was cute and overwhelming, but it reminded me that there was no rush into a relationship. Of all the people I had met so far, only the 18 year-old was in a relationship, and I had been in such relationship at that age. It was a friendly reminder from fate that, dude, there is no hurry. You meet the right person at any point in your life. Make the best of your life no matter if you are single, together, or kind of together. As long as there is no drama, enjoying life can be quite easy with another person.
It is hard to keep true to the no-drama part of life.
And those are the naive observations from a 22 year old girl.

Ciao amigos.
Thanks for readin'!


1 comment:

  1. You are learning so much, and handling yourself so well.
    tu grandie a Vitesse V!
    tu vas revenir beaucoup plus forte.
    merci de partager si genereusement ton aventure.

    ReplyDelete